People CMM®) Introduction
Organizations have tried to apply many different techniques in their capacity to move towards strategic human capital management. They have combined downsizing with restructuring, applied re-engineering or process improvement, improved information sharing, clearly communicated the organization’s mission, and instituted employee involvement.
People Capability Maturity Model® Framework (People CMM®) is a tool that helps you to successfully address the critical people issues in organizations. The People CMM employs the process maturity framework of highly successful Capability Maturity Model® as a foundation. Based on the best current practices in fields such as human resources, knowledge management, and organizational development, People CMM guides organizations in improving their processes for managing and developing their workforce.
The People CMM helps organizations;
- characterize the maturity of their employee practices,
- establish a program of continuous employee development,
- set priorities for improvement actions,
- integrate employee development with process improvement, and
- Establish a culture of excellence.
The People CMM consists of five maturity levels that establish successive foundations for continuously improving individual competencies, developing effective teams, motivating improved performance, and shaping the workforce which the organization needs to accomplish its future business plans. Each maturity level is a well-defined evolutionary plateau that institutionalizes new capabilities for developing the organization’s workforce.
People CMM Assessment Process:
- Undertake Gap Analysis of HR practices
- Establish the level of PCMM at which the company HR Practices are
- Recommendation whether to go for up-gradation
- Suggesting Timelines
- Inform recommendations for addressing key findings
- Develop roadmap and action plan with specific timelines
- Step by step description of the approach & explanation of methodology
Undertake Gap Analysis of HR practices
Gap analysis involves the comparison of actual status of implementation of HR practices and Goals being implemented in RVNL with that Practices and Goals defined in the People CMM framework. The Gap Analysis is conducted by involving;
- Process Owners (PO) of all 13 People CMM Process Areas
- Managers (Mgr) implementing the HR practices in their respective areas covering all 13 People CMM Process Areas
- Employees (Emp) being one of the interested party to HR practices being implemented in RVNL covering 13 People CMM Process Areas
Random Sampling Methodology shall be adopted in selecting samples. The ratio of 1:4:8 (PO:Mgr:Emp) shall be applied. As the data in the Gap Analysis study is attribute data, measuring a particular HR practice and Goal is “satisfactorily being implemented or not”. As per the sampling techniques of statistics it is ensured that the minimum sample size for attribute data is 100. The proposed sample size becomes for 13*13 = 169 (Survey is carried out for 13 process areas up to People CMM level 3 based on quantitative data evidences with interviews of Process owners and Organizational published results).
Sample Base of 169 can be in head office. However minimum is 100 as per attribute data of sampling.
The process of Gap Assessment is as follows:
- Preparing Phase – preparing for assessment
- Surveying Phase – conducting survey People-CMM
- Assessment Phase – conducting onsite assessment
- Reporting Phase – reporting the assessment results.